School falls short in preparing us for the real world

Trinity Woodruff, Staff Writer

“Give a man a fish, he will eat for 7 days, teach him how to fish, and he will have food for a lifetime.” This parable should be the goal of the American education system, but they are missing the mark.

As a high school student, I frequently find myself wondering if everything I’m taught in school is as important as my teachers make it sound, because at this point I’m not entirely convinced that I will end up working at McDonalds my whole life because I got a 75% on my pythagorean theorem test my freshman year. I’ve also started to wonder how I’m going to function in the real world when I have to file taxes and pay a mortgage, things school has yet to mention.  

Frankly, the public school system is failing the youth of America. High school prepares us for when we don’t have a calculator on hand even though our generation is practically surgically attached to our smart phones.They teach us how babies are made and how to prevent that, but they don’t prepare us for later in life when we actually want a child and have to successfully raise it.  We are taught how to identify the parts of a sentence, but not how to detect the early signs of mental illness, a skill which could help us literally save the lives of our classmates.

High school leaves teenagers completely unprepared for the real world and is failing to teach kids the skills necessary to thrive in their adult life. Most students don’t know how to pay bills, budget money, or even how credit cards and interest rates work,which can have detrimental effects later on in life.  We have four years of math; it’s not unreasonable to teach kids both how to pay a mortgage as well as the quadratic formula. If the mission of school is to prepare us for the real world, it’s time it started doing it in ways that actually meet that goal.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “School falls short in preparing us for the real world”

1. Andrew on March 14th, 2018 11:55 am

I think this is a great article, and I agree on your opinion that the public school systems in America do not prepare the students enough for the real world after high school.

[Reply]

2. Eliza on March 14th, 2018 2:28 pm

I agree in every aspect of this article. Our schooling system attempts to prepare students for the real world by teaching by the book. Recently, I’ve noticed that more applications to real life issues and situations have been introduced into the average circiculum. However, this doesn’t chance the fact that important life skill classes are electives. When students enter college, they should know how to do laundry and taxes. In addition, I don’t really think that any student should be living off of ramen noodles in a dorm. Street intelligence should seriously be better implemented into the system.

[Reply]

*

• School falls short in preparing us for the real world

Social media and selflessness go hand in hand

Access to the internet a right the government should preserve, not a privilege the government should regulate

Online friends can be beneficial

The school’s anti-vaping campaign is unlikely to change students’ habits

Brand Loyalty: A fashion fad or fashion fraud?

Extracurriculars: just ‘extra’ or worth the sacrifice?

As public schools become more standardized, home schooling offers more options for individualized student learning

Why I WON’T be going Greek this fall

Headphones should be allowed in class

Spring Break in the 49024