Fantastic news and where to find it

Sarah Maniscalco, Staff Writer

This year a new kind of magic is stirring in the Harry Potter community. There are hints and whispers far and wide about the next movie in the Fantastic Beasts series, which will premiere on November 16, 2018.

The lengthy title of this new film, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, suggests there will be a focus on the rise of Grindelwald and what the protagonists will do to try and prevent it. If you are familiar with the Harry Potter franchise, you would recognize the name Grindelwald as the villain of Dumbledore’s generation.

This film is set in the roaring twenties, only a couple of months after Newt Scamander’s departure from the United States. He has finally finished his textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and is going on tour in London and Paris. His tour may come to an early end as he joins forces with the young Dumbledore to defeat the malicious Grindelwald.

In addition to hints about the plot, J.K Rowling has released pictures of the new cast. This has led to an abundance of speculation about new characters and potential relationships. Jude Law makes an appearance as the stylish young Dumbledore, and he is shown holding a different wand than he had in the previous movies. In the films, he is the holder of the Elder Wand, a powerful and historical piece of the Deathly Hallows. In the cast picture, Grindelwald is shown to possess the Elder Wand as in the future Dumbledore will have to duel him to the death to gain possession of the wand. In the last movie, Newt is shown to have a picture of the mysterious Leta Lestrange. From recently released pictures, it is shown that she is engaged to Newt’s brother, Theseus Scamander, who is played by Callum Turner. This might lead to some conflict as many fans have speculated about Newt’s relation to Leta. This new story line has brought a magical joy to old and new fans alike as they come together to return to the wizarding world.