MVP of the Month: Katya Campbell

Lexie Gavlas, Staff Writer

Team captain and returning varsity player Katya Campbell (12) is already leading the Portage Northern’s Women’s Basketball Team to success this season.  “I’ve probably been playing since I was 5 years old; my grandma put me on this YMCA team when I was really young and I was just good at it,” says Campbell.  For Campbell, good is an understatement.  From moving up to varsity midway through her sophomore year, to already being recruited to several D2 colleges, Campbell’s commitment to the sport is impressive, “In the past I’ve led my team in several scoring categories, and this year I’m leading my team in scoring already,” says Campbell.  Just recently, Campbell knocked down a 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Plainwell.

“[One of my favorite memories from high school basketball] was when I was on JV, and I crossed this girl and I made her fall,” says Campbell.  If she couldn’t play basketball, Campbell explains she would most likely be in musicals.  “It seems really fun to act, but I’m not good at that,” she says.  Campbell feels optimistic towards the season ahead, “I feel like we’re a lot better than last year and we’re gonna be pretty good this year.” Catch the Northern Lady Huskies playing in the Igloo on either Tuesdays or Fridays.

Home Games:

12/11 Niles

1/8 v. Lakeshore

1/12 v. K Central

1/25 v. PC

1/19 v. Mattawan

2/2 v. 3 Rivers

Alt Coverage:

Height: 5’6

Favorite team: Golden State Warriors

Favorite Player: Steph Curry

Position: Guard