Weather
PORTAGE WEATHER

Varsity football defeats St. Joseph high school 48-22

This win advances the Huskies to 6-0 on the season

On Friday, September 29th, 2023 the Portage Northern varsity football team brought themselves to a 6-0 record with a 48-22 win over St. Joseph High School.

The game featured a variety of pregame activities that featured elementary school students because it was Elementary Night and also Junior Huskie Cheer night. Students from all 8 elementary schools in the district ran through the tunnel and huddled up with the team before the game, and elementary cheerleaders took to the sidelines with the Huskie cheer team. 

A packed student section was filled with energy as the game kicked off. The team got off to an early start with an 80-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Keegan Mclntyre. The Huskies continued the first quarter with passes, running, and a 39-yard field goal from senior kicker Avery Kucharski. The first quarter ended with the Huskies taking the lead of 22-0.

During the second quarter, St. Joseph scored their first touchdown of the game, bringing the score to 22-7. “When [St. Joseph] got a few scores, I knew that the offensive line really had to stop and reset,” said junior offensive and defensive lineman Zach French. “We took a deep breath and went out and had a solid 2-minute drill to end the half.” 

The game was paused in the second quarter due to a leg injury that saw a St. Joseph player taken off the field on a stretcher. The injured player, sophomore offensive lineman Jacob Richards, waved to the crowd as he left after being surrounded by his teammates and coaches, and was given a round of applause from Huskie players, fans, and families as he exited Huskie stadium.

By the end of the second quarter, the Huskies were still pushing ahead with a score of 28-15.

In the third quarter, St. Joseph scored their third touchdown, bringing the score to 28-22. “We came together and trusted each other and leaned on everybody at the moment,” said senior defensive end and offensive tackle Jackson Altweis. “It showed how much of a family we are.”  The Huskies were able to turn their energy around and score another touchdown, bringing the score to 34-22.

In the fourth quarter, PN found themselves in the end zone two more times, bringing the final score to 48-22. “It’s important to remember what got us here, especially because of the next game coming up,” said sophomore offensive and defensive lineman Gregory Patrick. “We prepared like we prepare for everyone else because that’s what will set us apart in games.” 

The Huskies are in action next on October 6, when they take on crosstown rivals the Portage Central Mustangs at 7:00 pm on the newly-named McCamley Night Field. PC is currently 5-1 on the season, with their only loss coming from Forest Hills Central.