• June 26Attention, Juniors! Click here for senior portrait information.

Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

School uniforms would erase the need for a dress code and help all students focus more.

Natalie Grinder, Journalism 1 Writer

According to the Department of Education, 15.5 percent of public schools required uniforms in the 2007-2008 school year. This is an increase of about 6 percent from a decade earlier. Schools should have uniforms: a uniform does not define anyone, it is just an outfit for the time school is in session, and it can help solve a lot of other problems.

First,students focus more on studies and grades instead of clothing and shopping. According to educational researcher Barbara Cruz, school  crime has dropped 22% while attendance has increased in schools that have adopted uniforms. There is even a trend of higher test scores in reading and math. This shows how impactful the social pressures of school can be on student grades, and uniforms can help solve that problem.

Second, no one would get defined by their clothes. Schools with uniforms believe that students who are well-dressed are more likely to perform well in the classroom. School uniforms also reduce peer pressure because students aren’t being bullied for what they wear because everyone is wearing the same thing. Many schools even have voucher or donation programs so that even students who can’t afford a uniform can still have one. It’s much more difficult to form cliques, which can cause social conflicts, when someone’s identity isn’t predetermined for them by their peers just because of the clothes they wear.

Finally, school uniforms improve safety. Uniforms can make any intruder in the school immediately noticeable. Many schools also don’t allow their uniforms to be baggy, making it more difficult for students to hide weapons under them.  Plus, uniforms also help the school staff identify the students on field trips, and then they won’t get lost because someone will see them walking the wrong way, and uniforms can help find the student when they are lost because they will stand out.

Some people argue that school uniforms are too expensive and a waste of money. This, however, is not true. They are very helpful and worth the money…especially when things like getting rid of bullying and increasing student achievement are so valuable that they are priceless.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad”

1. Melissah on October 17th, 2018 1:19 pm

Very well written article. I just don’t think I want to have uniforms.

2. Katie on October 17th, 2018 1:22 pm

The reasons you gave for wearing school uniforms were mostly ones that I hadn’t heard of before and I appreciated this. I’ve been hearing about the school uniform debate ever since I was little and it’s nice to get some fresh information backed up by credible quotes.

3. Kaylynn Dodge on October 17th, 2018 1:22 pm

You have some pretty good and strong points on here. It’s a topic most people are against (like me) but it’s very logical.

4. Malin on October 17th, 2018 1:29 pm

I really like how you wrote from an uncommon perspective, and although I am against school-uniforms, your writing style and the facts you used did show me the advantages and made me overthink my opinion. And that is the goal, right? Great job!

5. Shawna Sawall on October 17th, 2018 1:40 pm

I like how you started it off and you make some good points!!

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Bohemian Rhapsody: long live the Queen

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Interact Club hosts their annual Lunches for Lives event

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Huskies host first marching band invitational in new stadium

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Fall musical cast gets ready to debut Les Miserables

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Three new proposals are on the ballot for Michigan

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Freshman have fun at Link Crew-hosted movie night

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Crack down on phone use affects teachers and students alike

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Tennessee stabbing affects Kalamazoo thrill seekers

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Musician Mac Miller passes away

• Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad

Bronson Park becomes the scene of protests by the homeless community

Maybe school uniforms aren’t all bad