Men’s tennis gets ready for regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Men’s tennis gets ready for regionals

Jackson Graham, Graham Holley, and Keegan Bach celebrate after they win their flights at the SMAC tournament. Photo by Becky Bach

Jackson Graham, Staff Writer

The Portage Northern men’s tennis team capped off an undefeated season with a 6-2 win over Byron Center in the last match of the regular season, and will now turn their attention to the regional tournament on Thursday, October 11.  For each match that a team wins at the regional tournament, they earn one point. In order to qualify for the state tournament, a team must earn a total of ten points from all flights. Portage Northern will be seeded in all 8 flights and have earned a number 1 seed in the 2, 3, and 4 singles flights.

Coach Lee Cornelius had some words for his team in the few practices remaining before the tournament.  “Let’s not sell ourselves short. We can do more than just qualify for states. We can win this tournament!” he said.   Portage Northern qualified for the state tournament last season, earning exactly 10 points, which was good enough for a third place finish.  After a historic season, it is safe to say that the Huskies want and expect more at this year’s tournament.

The first round matchups for Portage Northern are as follows: 1 singles vs Byron Center, 2 singles vs Gull Lake, 3 singles vs Wyoming, 4 singles vs Portage Central, 1 doubles vs Byron Center, 2 doubles vs Wyoming, 3 doubles vs Battle Creek Lakeview, and 4 doubles vs Jackson.  As number 1 seeds, 2 singles Jackson Graham, 3 singles Graham Holley, and 4 singles Keegan Bach have good chances to win their flights and the rest of the team will look to follow suit.