CAY offers paid internships for students

Snigda Narisetty, Staff Writer

There are around 15 million teens, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year that struggle from a diagnosable mental, emotional or behavioral disorder in a given year and there is very little being done about it.The Calling All Youth Movement made a visit to Portage Northern on June 6th during both lunches to distribute information about their paid internship program.

One of the representatives, Rachel Cochran, says, “Calling all youth is a youth advisory board for the Kalamazoo system of care and it consists of young people that seek to improve mental health services for youths and families. It serves to empower youths to use their voices to create positive change within the system of care for youth in our community.”

They are recruiting high school students who have had experience in the mental health, juvenile justice, or foster care system, or have experience with a mood, emotional, or behavioral health challenge. This position will have the worker help create change in these system which desperately need the change. This opportunity is a great way to build leadership and public speaking skills, all while getting paid for the service.

According to the informational packet they were handing out, “In order to be considered for C.A.Y. MOVE youth must: be high school aged and enrolled in classes whether it is in a formal setting, online, homeschool, alternative school, or a GED program. Members may remain in the C.A.Y. MOVE until they graduate or complete the program they are enrolled in. If a member is repeating their senior year, they may remain in C.A.Y. MOVE for one additional year.”

The packet also mentioned that the youth must have a personal experience dealing with a mood, emotional, or behavior challenge or be a sibling of a youth with an MEB challenge. In addition to an experience with an MEB challenge the youth must have had involvement with, Mental Health, Juvenile Justice, Child Welfare, or Educational Supplements. Most importantly the applicant must had a the motivation and desire to advocate for change. To apply, visit the ASK family services website.