Understanding and learning Meditation

Megna Joshi, Website Editor

Meditation is something that almost everyone can do and with practice, meditation can be very beneficial to a person’s mental health. This is because meditation lowers blood pressure, relieves stress and helps with insomnia. There are different types of meditation, such as: sleeping meditation, walking meditation, focused attention meditation, zen meditation, the list is endless. Meditation requires a steady breath and a clear mind. This sounds easy at first, but it is difficult when starting out. On the other hand, there are different types of meditation make it so everyone can find a type they like.

Although there are different types of meditation, all have the same goal- to reach a state of calmness and mindfulness. The overall goal of meditation is to be in touch with one’s body rather than relaxing. It is hard to reach this goal because it takes hours to achieve a calm state of mind. This is because the mind is constantly racing and it is hard for people to take time of their day and focus on themselves and solely themselves. However, it is possible, and with practice, meditation can have physical and mental benefits. Claire Holley (12), a KAMSC student and a busy varsity sports captain says, “I wish I had more time to learn how to meditate because I feel like it will help me destress and get me focused on other things I need to do.”

For beginners, learning meditation can be hard but there are ways to make it easier. For example, there are many videos online and apps on your phone where someone guides the meditation so it’s easier to focus and easier to learn. Also, starting off with five minutes and then every time increasing five minutes helps the mind adjust to meditation and eventually reaching that state of calmness. Will Kellam (12) who enjoys meditation says “meditation is hard but it something anyone can try and the benefits are endless. I am happy I started learning because it has opened me up to something I never knew before.”

Lastly, Meditation and the practice of meditation can be used in everyday life and physical activity. For example, the practice of yoga incorporates a lot of different forms of meditation while also posing in different postures. Kyra Kothawala, co-founder of Yoga Club at Portage Northern says “I love yoga because I feel relaxed, focused on my breath, and I’m also breaking a sweat. I especially like after every practice the instructor has us to a “savasana” which is lying down and meditating. It is something I really enjoy about the practice of yoga.”

Overall, Meditation has so many benefits and although it is difficult it is something everyone can try in their lifetime. The different types can fit anyone personality and preference and the health advantages are also a plus.