Sport news: Wrestling and Bowling

The+bowling+team+keeps+an+eye+on+the+scoreboard+at+the+state+tournament.+They+finished+in+11th+place.+

MLive.com

The bowling team keeps an eye on the scoreboard at the state tournament. They finished in 11th place.

Salvador Delvecchio, Staff Writer

This past weekend, both PNHS wrestling and bowling capped off impressive seasons with several Huskie athletes bringing home the bacon.  In wrestling, both Matt Heaps (12) and Nick Prowse (12) qualified for states.  Matt Heaps went undefeated in the preliminary rounds, winning all his matches, including his quater final match in which he won by fall, advancing him to the state finals.  Nick Prowse was pinned in his first match, but bounced back and won by fall against his next opponent. After losing another match, Prowse went on to wrestle for 7th/8th place. Both ended up finishing with all-state honors for their weight classes (the top 8 qualifies for all-state) with Prowse finishing in 8th place and Heaps finishing as state runner up.  

Matt Heaps is a senior and solidified himself in Huskie history by notching his 150th win this season.  Heaps joins elite company, with wrestlers such as 2016 graduate Nolan Smith, who is third all-time in wins with 161.   Nick Prowse on the other hand, never made the state finals, but received all-state honors several times and was a consistent and valuable asset to the team.  

This year’s PNHS bowling squad finished 11th at states with bowlers Nate Curl (10) and Brendan Kosanke (12) qualifying for individual bowling finals.  Nate Curl fell out of the top eight, while his teammate Brendan Kosanke was state-runner up finishing with all-state honors.  Kosanke will leave a lasting mark on the boys bowling program.  He currently holds the school record for the best game ever thrown with a whooping score of 289 (Freshman year).  Both bowling and wrestling teams had stellar seasons, but in the end, both came up short.