• June 26Attention, Juniors! Click here for senior portrait information.

Soaking in the Comedy: a review on “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water

More stories from Lydia Huitt

SpongeBob Rainbow

tumblr

SpongeBob Rainbow

Sat down with my bucket of popcorn, over-priced cherry Pepsi, and surrounded by nine year olds, I was ready for the film to begin. I was channeling my inner elementary schooler as I sat waiting for the man, the legend himself, SpongeBob Squarepants, to come on screen. Directors Mike Mitchell and Paul Tibbitt did not disappoint with their latest addition to the SpongeBob legacy. Despite the atrocious singing seagulls, “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water” was a splashing success.

Despite the atrocious singing seagulls, “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water” was a splashing success.”

Diving right into the storyline, the film is narrated by Burger Beard (Antonio Banderas). Thanks to Plankton’s (Mr. Lawrence) usual shenanigans, the sacred Krabby Patty secret formula is lost, and it is up to SpongeBob and his trusty friends to retrieve it. Along the way they must dabble in time travel, collaborate with a divine dolphin, and battle some blood thirsty pelicans. On top of the high energy adventures going on, the audience was reunited with some old characters, which included Perk Perkins, Mrs. Puff, and the random guy who yells “My leg!” about every other episode.

One a scale of one to Beyonce this movie was a Jay-Z; it was in the ballpark of greatness but still had some room for improvement. This film included high speed fun for the whole family to enjoy, and countless twists and turns, that kept the audience on the edge of their seats. It also had great one liners, that sustained the audience’s laughter through its long hour and a half. Despite its hilarity, it did get a bit lengthy toward the end. I don’t know about anyone else, but I can only take the bubblegum happiness of SpongeBob’s universe for so long. If I was getting restless, I am sure the younger folks in the theater were ready to head home as well.

In conclusion, I highly recommend seeing this nautical tale. Having grown up on SpongeBob, I believe that this will be a good influence on the youth of our nation. One last thing… Are you ready, kids? Aye aye, Captain!