Kayla Gercak ready to lead Portage Northern

The Prez – Kayla Gercak

Sarah Cornell, Life & Style Editor

“I am excited for next year, it is going to be great,” said Clara Comiskey (11).  With the 2013-2014 school year coming to a close, there is a fair amount to look back upon- from  Friday night football games and homecoming to prom and all kinds of dances. There is a person who participates with making those events happen, the class president, and with Kayla Gercak rising to the top, Portage Northern is only bound to get better.

The student body seems to adore Gercak and her ability to include and talk to everyone. “Kayla will get a lot done and accomplish things for us as well as the school,” said Malena Harlen (10). Not only will she accomplish goals, but she will do it in a way that the student body respects. “She will make all of our events fun and entertaining,” said Alex Wojewoda (10).

Kayla Gercak brings a variety of qualities to Portage Northern High School. She has been captain of the cross country team for a couple of years, she is a member of the National Honors Society, she is an International Baccalaureate diploma candidate, and she has been in student senate for three years, among a variety of other responsibilities. Because of her experience, Gercak has much to offer the student body of Portage Northern. “My strong points are that I’m very responsible, I’ve practiced responsibility all throughout my life,” said Gercak. “I think that we were both great candidates, and Delaney has a lot of great ideas,” said Gercak.

“I definitely want to have more participation in the school,” said Gercak. Next year Kayla plans to get all kinds of students  involved with a variety of different activities. “We’re going to try to bring in another world record for breadlift,” said Gercak. “One of the biggest changes that we’re going to make is [treating] Relay for Life more like a spring Breadlift. We want it to be more hyped up and a senate run thing,” said Gercak. “That’s probably one of the biggest changes that we want to make.”

Exciting pep assemblies, enhanced student and school participation, and a year filled with success and memories are what to expect with Kayla Gercak in charge. Get ready Portage Northern, because 2014-2015 will be a year to remember.