MVP of the month: Kayla Evans

Ally Rabe, Sports Editor

“I’m just so excited about this season,” Kayla Evans (12) said. The enthusiasm on the Women’s Track and Field team is high this year. Almost all of last year’s varsity team returns and many talented freshmen join as well. Although the entire team has talent, Evans stands out from the rest. Last year at the Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 1 state meet, Evans sat in the bleachers after high jumping all morning. The announcers called the athletes who placed in their events, and Evans unexpectedly heard her name. “We thought I’d just missed [placing],” Evans said. “But I ended up tying for 8th place.” Evans considers receiving All-State honors as a junior her biggest accomplishment thus far; however, she is not settling there. “My goal this season is to break the school record. It’s 5’6” and my highest last year was 5 foot 4 inches,” she said. A mere two inches separates Evans from going down in school history. “This year I’ve started to focus more on my approach in order to improve,” said Evans. “It’s hard to continue improving, but you just have to work at it.” Evans proves to be a dedicated and hardworking athlete who does whatever it takes to get better. For these reasons—and many more—the girls on her team look up to her. Her past accomplishments and goals for the future give the impression that this will be a promising season for Evans and the team.