Freshman golfer KT Leinwand is in full swing

Sloan Markin, Staff Writer

KT golfs at a fall tournament. (Courtesy of Michael Lienwand)

“Even though my parents didn’t play golf, I grew up around a golf course,” said freshman KT Leinwand. This star golf player earned all-state honors, swept tournaments, earned a varsity letter, earned 2nd at the SMAC golf tournament, and placed 23rd at states. 

Leinwand transferred into the Portage Public School district this year as a freshman. Before the pandemic she was excited to meet friends on her first day, but as the summer progressed she realized that this may not work out how she wanted. 

While new to this school, she was no stranger to golf. She began to golf before she was in kindergarten. The first time she golfed, it was the 4th of July and her parents wanted her to go have fun with the other children, so they dropped her off at the putting green. “Basically my parents wanted me out of the house, so at four years old they started putting me in summer golf clinics. It was always really fun for me, so at seven, I started taking lessons,” KT shared.

“Everybody kind of does ballet, basketball, dance, karate, and KT really liked golf. And being a girl golfer, it’s not easy,” said KT’s mom, Janice Leinwand. “She liked it a lot around 6 and 7, she loved it at age ten and she now can’t live without it.”

Leinwand prepares for a golf camp as a toddler. (Photo by Janis Leinwand)

“Up until this summer, KT was playing with the boys – don’t ask me why,” said Leinwand. This is a challenge because boy’s muscles develop quicker than women, so KT was playing against boys who were larger and stronger than her, but still winning. She had played against boys up until this year, when, to coach Chris Andrews’ delight, she joined the PN Women’s golf team.  “I have known KT since she was a little kid as her older sister used to babysit my daughter. I couldn’t wait for the opportunity to coach her,” said Andrews.

Her first practice was a bit intimidating. “I was a little bit nervous meeting the team because I heard there were some seniors. I mean I just came out of middle school – I didn’t know what to expect,” said KT. That day opened a door to opportunities that KT didn’t know she would have. 

“She placed in the top 10 in every tournament she played in except the state finals,” said Andrews. KT did this as a freshman competing against the top in the division – including many seniors. She placed 23rd at the state finals out of 109. If they only counted the freshman, she was in 2nd place. 

KT played well enough to earn all-state honors.  “All-State is a collection of the top 10 golfers in each division in the entire state. There are 4 divisions, we are division 2. So she was first-team all-state in Division 2,” explained Andrews. This means that KT earned a place on the All-State wall – the pictures that are on the wall of Portage Northern’s very own Igloo.

“Having a freshman do that well is great, it really is exciting for the future,” said Andrews. Even though the golf season is done, KT is still practicing her golf game constantly. Even with school, she still finds a way to balance it all. “School is just as important to me as golf,” she stated.