Shooting in Downtown Kalamazoo: shooter is dead, officer is recovering

Cameron Myers, News Editor

On Tuesday, March 12th at 11:30 am, the Kalamazoo Police Department received information about an active shooter in the Biomat USA Plasma Center in downtown Kalamazoo.

Officers were called near the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission, off from Kalamazoo Avenue near N. Burdick Street. The police department has surrounded the building while the shooter opened fire on the blockade.

One officer was shot and was sent to the hospital and is in stable condition. Bronson Methodist Hospital went on Code Yellow, which initiates an emergency room lockdown that occurs when violence has recently happened, allowing first responders and emergency room doctors and staff to devote their complete attention to the victim(s), in this case, the police officer. The suspect was killed shortly after he exchanged gunfire with the officers.

Portage Northern students primarily heard news about the incident from communication with friends and staff members. Senior Rebecca Netz heard this information just recently in her 7th hour class.  “I’m not sure why a shooter would be in a Plasma Center, but I am happy to hear that the shooter can’t hurt anyone and the police officer is safe,” she said.

The Kalamazoo Gospel Mission also locked down and nearby Shakespeare’s Pub temporarily closed due to the active shooting, and the downtown campus is KVCC was on lockdown as well. including Kalamazoo Valley Community College was on lockdown, the Anna Wittenhall campus. KDPS is currently investigating the incident, but they have discovered that the shooter was a former Biomat USA employee.