• June 26Attention, Juniors! Click here for senior portrait information.

Varsity football wins district championship for the first time in school history

Cameron Myers, News Editor

On November 2nd, the Varsity football team went against Okemos High School at home at Huskie Stadium. The Huskies easily handled their opponents, dominating them by a score of 56-15. 

The Huskies showed their strength on both sides of the ball, holding Okemos to 35-0 at the half. “It’s been a dream season for sure,” said head coach Peter Schermerhorn.

This coming friday, November 9th, our football team will be traveling all the way to Muskegon to play against Mona Shores High School, the number one seed, who also handily beat their opponent, Jenison, on Friday night.

The win-loss record right now for Portage Northern is 9-2, and Mona Shores is 10-1. “I believe we have a 50-50% in winning or losing this Friday because we are both big competitors,” said senior Jack Haverdink, one of the team captains.  “But my team is filled with excitement.  We are pumped up and ready to defeat Mona Shores.”

Junior Evie Bradlet, a cheerleader, said:  “All I can say is i’m beyond proud of all the boys. Every game gets more and more emotional because I know how hard they have worked for this.”

To help students make the commute to Mona Shores, the school is offering limited bus transportation for $10. Visit the athletic office for more information.