Lunches for Lives: Portage Northern Interact Club Raises Funds for Portage Families in Need

Dianne Ro, Editor-in-Chief

“We encourage everyone to participate because it’s fun and easy, and it really does make a difference in people’s lives,” says Jessica Andrews (12), a leader of Portage Northern’s Interact Club. “The money that we raise goes towards families in need during the holiday season, so we’re ‘adopting families.’”

The Interact Club held Lunches for Lives, during which students and staff members alike make donations in exchange for a lunch. On October 17th, Interact Club volunteers set up tables at the back entrance of Portage Northern and distributed hotdogs, quesadillas, and other lunch foods to donators. Within the two lunch periods and despite the rain, Interact raised $1164.65, roughly $130 more than last year.

Interact Club will spend the donations providing needs and gifts to families in the community. With lists of specific needs of families provided by the community, the Interact Club plans on purchasing and wrapping gifts for the families in need.

“Interact Club is grateful to everyone who volunteered or donated; this year was a success,” says Sarah Patton (12), also a leader of the club. With another year of success, Portage Northern students as a whole help to better the community through Lunches for Lives.