• June 26Attention, Juniors! Click here for senior portrait information.

Huskie soccer prepares for regional tournament

Junior+midfielder+Levi+Crooks+leaps+over+a+PC+defender+in+the+first+round+of+the+league+tournament.+The+Huskies+lost+1-0%2C+despite+controlling+play+for+most+of+the+game.+The+Mustangs+went+on+to+win+the+tournament%2C+and+PN+came+in+third.+Photo+courtesy+of+Portage+Central+parent+photographers.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior midfielder Levi Crooks leaps over a PC defender in the first round of the league tournament. The Huskies lost 1-0, despite controlling play for most of the game. The Mustangs went on to win the tournament, and PN came in third. Photo courtesy of Portage Central parent photographers.

Malcolm Gaynor, Sports Editor

In the first round of the league tournament, the Huskie soccer team fell 1-0 against rival Portage Central. PC went on the beat Mattawan 3-1 to take the league title, while the Huskies won the third place game against Gull Lake 1-0 thanks to a goal scored by sophomore Isaiah Spillers in the final minute of play.

After a disappointing league tournament loss to PC, the Huskies have a chance for redemption in the regional tournament. If the Huskies win a first round matchup in Jackson on the 16th, they will face the winner of Okemos and Portage Central, both of whom are ranked in the top 10 in the state (PC is 2, Okemos is 7). This would be the their third game against PC, following two one-goal losses earlier in the season.

The intense format of the ‘win or go home’ playoffs will have an effect on the energy of play. “We want the season to keep going,” explains junior goalkeeper Austin Freemire. Freemire also said that if the team had another shot at PC, they wouldn’t change their gameplan. Each of the previous matchups were very even, and, despite a goal scored by PC on a free kick, the Huskies even outplayed their rival during the last matchup.

The playoffs are when teams have the opportunity to step up perform, despite what happened during the regular season. For the soccer team and its 9 seniors, this regional tournament could be a great opportunity to prove themselves and get redemption.