Extracurriculars: Pro

Demi Jensen, Opinion Editor

Link Crew, Yearbook, Student Senate, Ski Club, and National Honor Society are among the abundance of extracurricular activities the school has to offer. From first grade to twelfth grade, the school system encourages students to participate in extracurricular activities that benefit students’ academic careers and personal lives. Whether or not a student decides to participate in these activities, extracurriculars are crucial to the education system and serve as a deeper level of education for every type of student.

There is no doubt that extracurricular activities are more enjoyable than they are painstaking. Through these clubs and organizations, individuals have a greater chance of making true friends who are interested in similar hobbies and life-styles. “I think it’s helped me meet a lot of new people and people that I wouldn’t necessarily normally hang out with,” said Student Senate senior Jessie Beadle, “but it’s been a really positive thing in my life.” As we all know, the amount of students we have here makes it quite difficult to widen our friend circles. With extracurriculars such as Student Senate, students are introduced to a diverse group of students that they would probably never normally interact with.

Not only is participating in extracurricular activities an effective way of making friends, but it also benefits student achievement and looks impressive to college admissions boards. The education system encourages students to participate for this very reason, and teachers are not wrong in saying that it is a good idea. According to National Center for Educational Statistics, “participants were more likely than nonparticipants to aspire to higher education: two-thirds of participants expected to complete at least a bachelor’s degree while about half of nonparticipants expected to do so.” Simply put, participating in these activities increases motivation to go on to college as well as increasing the likelihood of getting into college and receiving a degree. Motivation is a tough subject for some students, and extracurriculars could help with encouraging individuals to take the steps to further their education. On top of increasing motivation, extracurriculars can teach students how to effectively manage their time in regards to balancing jobs, school work, and their social lives. “You can still do a lot, but you’ll just have to manage your time and have straight priorities,” said junior Sarah Headapohl. With so many activities that are available, time management is key when participating in extracurriculars, especially with commitments that are not school related.

The wide array of extracurricular activities that are available can easily be overwhelming, but it is important to realize that they are beneficial in every aspect of life. Taking the step to explore all high school has to offer and choose to participate in extracurricular activities enriches students’ lives not just now, but in the future as well.