Deshaun Watson’s injury and where Texans go from here

Carter Landis, Sports Editor

In what could be the most devastating injury in this armageddon of players suffering season-ending injuries, Texans rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson suffered a torn ACL during practice on Thursday, November 4th, ending what was shaping up to be a record shattering season.

Multiple NFL players and fans expressed their dismay as well as support for Watson in many ways, such as texting Watson personally, or leaving heartfelt tweets on his page. Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, who suffered a torn ACL and dislocated knee in 2016, showed his support on Twitter, saying, “Been overcoming adversity your entire life & never lost faith once. The battle is already won, claim ur victory, born winner.”

The Texans drafted Watson #12 overall in the most recent NFL Draft after trading up to select him. Watson appeared in two National Championship games while at Clemson, winning one of them on a last second passing touchdown.

Watson seized the starting QB position from incumbent Tom Savage in week one, throwing for 102 yards and a touchdown in a loss to the Jaguars. After two relatively average games, Watson caught fire in a game against the Titans, throwing for 283 yards and four touchdowns in a 57-14 victory. In three games following, Watson threw for 888 yards and 12 touchdowns, while adding 17 on the ground.

The injury to the stud rookie Watson puts the Texans in a terrible position. They started Tom Savage against the Rams and only managed the get in the end zone once. Savage threw his first NFL touchdown to Bruce Ellington in the game. He has been in the league since 2014.

If Savage isn’t the answer to a short term problem, then who is? Certainly it’s not Josh Johnson, a player who hasn’t thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2011. But remember, Steve McNair didn’t sign Colin Kaepernick because he ‘hadn’t played football in a while.’

The Texans could try playing WR Braxton Miller at quarterback. He did play the position for four years at Ohio State, throwing for 52 touchdown passes before making the switch to wide receiver after the emergence of JT Barrett while Miller was injured. He knows the system in Houston that Bill O’Brien put in place for Watson, one that allows a quarterback to be mobile. It’s not a terrible idea, and it can’t be much worse than Tom Savage, can it?

Deshaun Watson’s injury puts the Texans in a bad spot, and for now, it doesn’t look like they’ll be in contention to win the AFC anymore. Next year, once Watson comes back, that’s another story.