STARTING FIVE: MSU Basketball gets big win with recruits watching

Carter Landis, Sports Editor

The Michigan State basketball team defeated their rival Michigan on Sunday, 70-62, at the Breslin Center. The Spartans shot 52% from the field as to Michigan’s 39%, and shot 45% from three point range compared to Michigan shooting 26%. Freshman star Miles Bridges continued his hot streak of play, posting 15 points and 13 rebounds. Cassius Winston poured in a career high 16 points off the bench. Nick ward added 13 points, taking six shots and making all of them. Michigan State took care of business almost from the beginning, taking the lead after a Matt McQuaid three and never giving it back.
The biggest positive from the big Spartans’ win was having nine recruiting targets in attendance to see a victory over a rival with a ravenous crowd supporting the team. The most notable target in the Breslin was five star forward Brian Bowen from La Lumiere high school in Indiana. Bowen has been a heavily recruited player for a long time. 247sports gives Michigan State a 65% chance of landing Bowen, higher than Arizona, Texas, Creighton, and others. Bowen could provide a wing scorer and a very talented shooter if he decides to commit to the Spartans. Michigan State would be happy to add Bowen to a class that already features five star forward Jaren Jackson Jr. and four star center Xavier Tillman. A W against their most bitter rival with those recruits watching is definitely a great case for Tom Izzo to make for those players.