Best selling author Max Brooks coming to Portage

Brian P. Lawler

World War Z author makes presentation

Josua Mayalou, Special to the NL

“It’s not often that we have one of America’s best selling authors in our town, so I hope we can get many of our students, staff, and community members to hear Mr. Brooks’s important message,” said Jeanna Walker, Portage Northern Media Specialist. Walker is talking about Max Brooks, author of The Zombie Survival Guide: World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks, and his visit to Portage Northern on Thursday, November 12, 1:00-3:00 PM and Portage Central High School at 7:00 PM.

Brooks has now turned his focus from zombies to American history with the release of his new book The Harlem Hellfighters, which tells the story of the first African American regiment to fight in WWI. Using the graphic novel genre, Brooks shares the heroic story with readers, and in November, he will discuss the book in person. “I think it is a special opportunity for all of us here in Portage to meet an amazingly talented author while he discusses the book and craft,” said English teacher Ben Neal.

Walker also shared, “American History, IB 20th Century History and IB Theory of Knowledge students will have the choice of reading and discussing Harlem Hellfighters in class, but I encourage ALL of our students to read Mr. Brooks’s book. I will have multiple copies of Harlem Hellfighters in the Library Learning Commons for checkout.”

This event, sponsored by Portage Public Schools, The Portage Public Library, and Book Bug, is free to everyone who wishes to attend, and once again, starts at 7PM at Portage Central High School. “Millions have read and love his books, so make sure you plan on attending since this doesn’t happen that often right in our backyard,” said Neal.