At first, I was worried about what being in the stands with my newfound Huskie family would be like when we played my own school at football. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. (Brie Quick)
At first, I was worried about what being in the stands with my newfound Huskie family would be like when we played my own school at football. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about.

Brie Quick

From Mustang to Huskie: the best change of my life

October 26, 2021

Arriving at the 2021 PC vs PN game in orange instead of blue was something that I never thought would happen, and seeing people that I had not seen since I left Portage Central was weirder than I thought. All my old friends were there ready to support PC. Me, on the other hand: I was ready to support Portage Northern, the school that had become my home. 

Leaving PC

After transferring schools a total of 4 times, making this decision was not easy. I knew leaving Portage Central was the best decision for me, but I did not know if I truly could mentally handle it. I had grown up on the Central side of town and with the people there, but I was hurting myself more by staying.

Winter break during the 19-20 school year was when I started truly considering leaving PC. I started to hang out with friends from West and North Middle and noticed how much happier I seemed around them than I did with my friends from Central Middle. 

When we returned to school in January, nothing felt the same to me. The people at PC started to seem meaner and meaner, and I just felt unwanted there. My mom started noticing how down I was and that I just was not myself. I barely ate anything and all I did was sleep and cry. I lost all motivation to socialize, do school work, and just complete the basic things I needed to do on a daily basis. 

January 20, 2019 was the day that I talked to my counselor about getting transferred to Portage West Middle School. I told her how I felt unwanted, could not find my own happiness, and just was not willing to do anything at my current school anymore. Six short days later, I finally got to say goodbye to PC. 

Coming to PN

In the spring of my freshman year, the Northern Light won its first ever Distinguished Site award. It was great to be a part of something where I didn’t just fit in right away, but was able to be successful right away, too. (Kai Pennington)

My first official day as a PN student did not go quite as planned: due to the Covid-19 pandemic, PPS started the 2020-2021 school year off virtually. Still, the excitement I had just knowing that I was not going to be attending PC for the first time in 5 years could not be killed. 

The fact that everything was not going as I hoped also did not stop me from getting involved. Within my first week of virtual school, I joined the school newspaper, the Northern Light. In November, I made the women’s basketball team. We did have to shut down all contact sports for a while, but even that couldn’t steal my happiness at being somewhere that finally felt like home, even if basketball practice was as close as I got to the actual school. Going into spring, I continued my athletic journey and joined the softball team. 

In between the mess of athletics, virtual school, and still being new to PN, I was finally able to attend in person on February 8, 2021. As the day got closer, my nerves started to grow. What if this school was not everything I dreamed it would be?  

Walking into the building on my first day was insane; it felt unreal. Throughout the whole day, I started to feel more and more wanted here. I truly never realized how fun school actually could be. Being a student was far from normal due to social distancing, but I still felt distinctly at home. 

Back to (mostly) normal

Even though I go to PN, I have still maintained some of my friendships from before. This is me with a close friend from PC at this year’s football game between our two schools. (Courtesy of Brie Quick)

So far, the 2021-2022 school year has been the best that I have ever been a part of. In just one short year of being here, I have gotten myself involved with the school in so many different ways: I am still on the journalism staff, but I’m an editor now, and I am planning on playing basketball and softball again this year, too. On top of that, I joined Student Senate, and I also spend time with a few different clubs. 

The happier I get, the more I am able to realize how much mental damage being at my previous school caused me. Slowly but surely, I am coming back together, thanks to the students and staff at PN. I feel more wanted here daily than I did in five years on the other side of town.  

Even though I made the transition over a year ago, it felt real in small steps: the first day of virtual learning, the first day in person, the start of this school year, and this year’s PN-PC football game. In the stands that night, surrounded by SuperFans, I realized that making the choice to become a Huskie was the best decision I could have ever made. Not only did I find the school I belonged at, I found the people who make me feel wanted.

The Northern Light • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Translate »

Comments (13)

All The Northern Light Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• D

DannyOct 27, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Wow, Brie… I didn’t know you had gone through all of that! I’m glad you made it here and got better! This is a work of art! Keep up the amazing work!

Reply
  • M

Miles SlocumOct 27, 2021 at 11:04 am

Nice job! The article was very engaging.

Reply
  • R

rouaOct 26, 2021 at 7:28 pm

I love this article so much, I love how you expressed your journey and how relatable it is. Am so proud of you!!

Reply
  • L

Lisa BrightOct 26, 2021 at 6:15 pm

It makes my heart smile knowing you found your place! Keep being amazing and making memories.

Reply
  • A

Avalin TooleyOct 26, 2021 at 6:06 pm

proud of you brie! so glad you transferred i don’t know where is be without your friendship love.

Reply
  • E

Ella MorofskyOct 26, 2021 at 2:15 pm

I love how relatable this piece can be for multiple students.

Reply
  • M

MariOct 26, 2021 at 2:15 pm

I really liked how explanatory it was, It really made me see her point of view like I was right there when It was happening, and It was just a really good writing In general, I personally think she’s an amazing writer.

Reply
  • A

Abigail HoslerOct 26, 2021 at 2:13 pm

I am so glad you were able to find a place you feel happy. I cant imagine Journalism without your amazing personality and kindness.

Reply
  • K

Kayla MalaskiOct 26, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Amazing story Brie, you transfering here changed so many peoples lives including mine. I understand the struggle of seeing old classmates at football games and youve stayed positive through it all. I hope you keep enjoying Huskie life

Reply
  • A

Alexia KeeneOct 26, 2021 at 2:12 pm

I love how you explained how you had transferred and the change from PC to PN and how we had to be shut down.

Reply
  • A

AnnabelleOct 26, 2021 at 2:11 pm

A wonderfully written piece!

Reply
  • A

AveryOct 26, 2021 at 2:10 pm

I love how you expressed and wrote your story, we’re all glad you transferred to PN!

Reply
  • J

Jaclyn BrubakerOct 26, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Wow, Brie! This is a very good piece! I appreciate how vulnerable you are in your willingness to share something that may bring back hurtful memories. That is a very brave thing to do! Nice Job!

Reply
13